Move over creamy potato soup, at long last you’ve found a competitor. Potato soup is a family favorite in my home and a go-to winter comfort food. We had it nearly on a weekly basis this past winter. I like this Creamy Cauliflower Soup equally as much, if not more than, a creamy potato soup so I’m happy to have another recipe to rotate it with.
This soup is actually very similar to a potato soup. Before telling my kids what kind of soup it was, my daughter was eating it and asked if there were potatoes in it, so it must be close. I love how the flavor of this soup is rather simple, which therefor really lets the mellow flavor of the cauliflower shine along with the richness and very subtle sweetness of the cream. If you wanted to cut back on calories you could replace the cream with more milk, but really why do such a thing? Cream is like gold to me, which is why I was practically devastated when I realized last week I’d left a quart of it sitting on the counter overnight. Yes I know it’s only a few dollars, but the stuff is precious I tell you. Seriously though, don’t you hate when stuff like that happens? The worst is when you accidentally leave a trunk-full of groceries, most of which require chilling/freezing, in the car overnight – yeah I might have done that a few times (and I’m normally not so forgetful, but I think I’ve learned my lesson. It hasn’t happened for a while. It must have been the ice cream “soup” and the extra-large bags of frozen blueberries than turned into pools of mush that got to me :).
Try this soup, because I can basically guarantee you’re going to love it! It’s staying in my recipe book forever!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) head cauliflower, large stem removed and discarded, remaining chopped into small pieces
- 2 carrots , peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery , diced (scant 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion , diced (1 1/3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- For serving:
- 4 - 6 slices bacon , cooked and diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions , chopped
- Melt butter in a large enameled cast iron pot over medium heat. Add chopped cauliflower, carrots, celery and onion and season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute until veggies are slightly tender, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour and garlic and cook mixture, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. While stirring, slowly add in chicken broth, then add bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low), cover pot with lid and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Stir in milk and cream and cook until heated through. Remove bay leaf and serve soup warm topped with cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions.
- Recipe Source: adapted with some changes from Damn Delicious