I try not to post to things that are so similar right in a row, one after another. BUT, we’ll let sugar cookies be the exception. My last post was Samoa Sugar Cookies and I’m obsessed with them (how could I not be? They are two of my favorite cookies combined into one). I decided while it was still on my mind I’d try out the other version I’ve been wanting to post, these Orange Creamsicle Sugar Cookies.
These are very similar to the Lemon Sugar Cookies I posted earlier this year, so if you liked those then you should definitely try out this version too. After all, you can never have to many sugar cookie recipes. These soft cookies are bursting with zesty orange flavor and covered with a creamy and silky smooth frosting. Yes, they really just seem to melt away in your mouth. This is one cookie that you seriously don’t want to miss out on! Plus, their color makes them perfect for the Halloween holiday coming up. Enjoy!
Follow Cooking Classy
The flavors an orange creamsicle meet the texture of a soft sugar cookie, in other words a match made in Heaven!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup all vegetable shortening (unflavored), at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 medium orange (1 Tbsp)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz cream cheese , softened
- 1/4 cup salted butter , softened
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- In a bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt and whisk for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip together 1/2 cup butter, shortening, sugar and orange zest on medium speed until very pale and fluffy, about 4 minutes, occasionally scrapping down the sides of the bowl. Add in egg and mix until combine, then add egg white, orange extract and vanilla extract and mix until combine. With mixer running, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Transfer dough to an airtight container and refrigerate 2 - 3 hours. Preheat oven to 375 during the last 10 minutes of refrigeration.
- Scoop dough out and shape into balls, about the size of a golf ball (40 g each). Place dough balls on Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets and dust tops with flour, then using your hands or the bottom of a large measuring cup flatten balls into rounds, about 1/3-inch thick. Bake in preheated oven 8 - 11 minutes (they should still be soft, don't cook until firm - if poked they should still leave an indentation, you just don't want them doughy). Allow to cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Cool completely then frost and garnish with sprinkles if desired. Store in an airtight container.
- For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip cream cheese and butter until pale and fluffy. Mix in orange extract followed by powdered sugar and blend until well combined and fluffy.