Hello, easy weeknight dinner! This Sun Dried Tomato Pasta features tender spaghetti layered with flavorful bits of sun dried tomatoes, lots of spinach, fresh basil, rich Parmesan and buttery pine nuts. Just imagine all that goodness!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla®. All opinions and text are mine.
Easy Vegetarian Pasta Recipe
This simple Mediterranean pasta can be ready in 30 minutes so you just can’t go wrong here. We all need a collection of quick and flavorful recipes for those hectic weekdays.
For this sun dried tomato pasta recipe, I used Barilla spaghetti as it’s my go-to brand of pasta. It’s always such a reliable product, and it turns out perfectly every time! And it’s also an integral part of the Mediterranean diet, which incorporates a variety of quality food groups that should be eaten often in reasonable quantities.
It’s a delicious base to all your creative pasta creations! It’s just one of those comforting foods I can never get enough of.
Pasta World Championship
If you’ve been following my blog the past few months, you’ll remember me sharing info on the Pasta World Championship. I shared it along with recipes for Greek Pasta Salad and Pasta Primavera. Check them out!
The Pasta World Championship is a competition hosted by Barilla in Milan, Italy. Chef Carolina Diaz of Terzo Piano in Chicago was selected to represent the U.S. and went on to the championship in Italy.
And I’m here to share the exciting conclusion — Chef Carolina Diaz went on to win! She is now the Master of Pasta the 2018 PWC. Congrats to her and all who were involved to make such an exciting competition.
You can follow @BarillaUS and #PastaWorldChampionship on Instagram and on the Pasta World Championship Page for more info on the competition and Chef Diaz’s win.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Ingredients
For the sun dried tomato and spinach pasta recipe, you’ll need:
- Barilla Spaghetti
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Baby spinach
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- Pine nuts
How to Make Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain while reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Once spaghetti is about halfway cooked through, heat oil from sun dried tomato jar in a large pot over medium heat (they’re should be 1/4 cup if needed use some olive oil).
- Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add spinach and sun dried tomatoes and saute until just spinach wilts about 2 minutes.
- Toss drained spaghetti into pot with spinach. Thin with pasta water as needed, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in basil and parmesan. Serve warm topping each serving with pine nuts and parmesan.
Is There a Pine Nut Substitute I Can Use?
If you can’t find pine nuts or they’re out of your budget, try substituting a mild, toasted nut instead. Walnuts would pair nicely with the flavors of this recipe. I’d just steer clear of nuts with stronger flavors, like cashews and peanuts.
Can I Use Dried Basil Instead of Fresh?
No, dried basil would make this sun dried tomato and spinach spaghetti crunchy. Fresh basil is key, but if you can’t get your hands on any feel free to play around with other fresh herbs.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Variations
- Try adding in artichokes or olives.
- Use another variety of pasta. A short pasta would be great here as well like penne or bowties.
- Use roasted garlic in place of fresh (I’d use a whole head or even two).
Tips for the Best Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente, but no further. Barilla provides clear instructions on their packaging, so do what the box says to do!
- When you add the spinach to the pot, it’ll look like a lot. Spinach wilts quickly though, so you’ll be glad you added so much.
- You want to use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil for this recipe, not plain sun dried tomatoes.
More Easy Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pasta Carbonara
- Lemon Pasta with Chicken and Asparagus
- Pesto Pasta with Shrimp and Asparagus
- Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Lemon Ricotta Parmesan Pasta
- Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Grilled Chicken
Follow Cooking Classy
Spaghetti with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
In this tasty recipe you get tender spaghetti layered with flavorful bits of sun dried tomatoes, lots of fresh spinach, bright fresh basil, rich parmesan and buttery pine nuts for crunch. Such a simple recipe with such delicious flavor! Be sure to serve with plenty of parmesan.
- 12 oz. Barilla Spaghetti
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8.5 oz) jar sun dried tomatoes in olive oil with herbs,* chopped, oil drained and reserved
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 8 oz. baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain while reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
Once spaghetti is about halfway cooked through, heat oil from sun dried tomato jar in a large pot over medium heat (they're should be 1/4 cup, if needed use some olive oil).
Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add spinach and sun dried tomatoes and saute until just spinach wilts about 2 minutes.
Toss drained spaghetti into pot with spinach. Thin with pasta water as needed, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss in basil and parmesan. Serve warm topping each serving with pine nuts and parmesan.
- Julienne cut or whole sun dried tomatoes work great here.