With New Years Eve just around the corner you’re going to want all the dip and appetizer recipes you can find! Really all you need is a big bowl of this Black Eyed Pea Salsa, a few bags of corn tortilla chips, some good drinks, and some of those incredibly annoying party whistlers and you are set! This salsa would also be a perfect snack to keep guests happy between meals on Christmas. I absolutely love this salsa, it’s so flavorful and it’s also incredibly filling. You’ll can find many different variations of it online, many of which use a zesty Italian dressing in place of the homemade version. I went with a homemade dressing because homemade is always best, right? It’s so easy to mix together there’s not really any point in cheating and using the store bought stuff anyway. Plus I wanted to stick with more Mexican/Southwestern flavors so I didn’t add in other herbs and flavors you find in Italian dressing.
Try this salsa soon! Once you do you’ll be hooked! This is one of my favorite salsas and it’s perfect for any get together or party! Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (about 1/2 tsp of each)
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (18 oz) diced roma tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed under warm water
- 1 extra-large or 2 small firm but ripe avocados, peeled, cored and diced
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion (dice small), run under water to remove harsh bite and drain
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- In a mixing bowl or jar whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, garlic, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all salsa ingredients to a mixing bowl pour dressing over top and toss to evenly coat. Preferably let rest in refrigerator 30 minutes then toss once more just before serving. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Recipe source: Cooking Classy