No long post here today, all I need to say is this is the BEST pulled pork you will ever eat =)! Perfectly seasoned and unbelievable tender. You’ll never need another pulled pork recipe. Thank you Paula Deen! I would suggest serving this with Blue Cheese Coleslaw. Best upgrade coleslaw has ever been given!
Paula Deen’s Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 1 1/2 Tbsp salt*
- 1 1/2 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper* (yeah your arms going to get tired =)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp cayenne pepper
- 4 pound shoulder pork roast (aka Boston Butt roast)
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 8 hamburger buns or large rolls
- 1 1/4 cups Bullseye (brand) original bbq sauce**
- Coleslaw , for serving (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together salt, pepper, brown sugar, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Place roast in a 13 x 9 pan and rub entire roast with dry rub mixture, pressing mixture into the roast. Cover roast with plastic wrap and allow to rest in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine apple juice, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire, liquid smoke and garlic powder. Place roast in a slow cooker, pour several tablespoons of the apple juice mixture over the top of the roast, then pour remaining mixture on the side of the roast (I do this so all the dry rub isn't washed off the top). Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat 8 - 10 hours. Remove roast from slow cooker and shred. Return shredded pork to slow cooker (in broth) and allow to cook 30 more minutes. Ladle out majority of the broth (I leave about 1/2 - 3/4 cup) and pour in barbecue sauce and stir. Serve warm, over rolls with optional coleslaw.
- *Original recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of each salt and pepper but I thought 1 1/2 Tbsp was plenty. It also doesn't call for freshly ground black pepper but I think it makes a big difference.
- **Original recipe lists Barbeque sauce. I like to add 1 1/4 cups and I only use Bullseye brand. I have tried many other kinds and several homemade recipes and Bullseye is just it for me. It's perfect with this recipe.
- Recipe adapted from Paula Deen's Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Food Network.
Recipe adapted from Paula Deen’s Pulled Pork Sandwiches on Food Network.